Friday, March 28, 2014

On #CancelColbert

I use Twitter, and I'm not blind to any of the trends that come and go on this site. And as of currently, the Twitterverse is in a war of words concerning the hashtag #CancelColbert, referring to a Twitter campaign by activists wishing to have Comedy Central's staple news satire "The Colbert Report" removed for accusations of racism from its namesake host, Stephen Colbert.

So here's the basic rundown: in the latest episode of the show, Colbert made an attempt to mock Dan Snyder and his handling of the Washington Red Skins racism controversey. Snyder, the owner of the NFL team, has come under pressure from the Native American community to change the name of the team, as the term "redskins" carries racist undertones. This is something I don't disagree with, since you can just glance at the historical record of the 19th-century United States and see all you need to see when it came to relations between the American government/people and the Native Americans. Not a pretty thing.

In an attempt to make up for this heated debacle, Snyder has formed an organization called the Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation, which, on its site, is said that its mission is to "work as partners to tackle the troubling realities facing so many Tribes across our country." Some might see this as a step in the right direction. For Colbert, not so much. I'm assuming he saw it as a double-edged sword kinda thing, for Snyder to try and save his reputation by raising charity but not changing the name of the team. I think it sounds a little dubious myself.

Anyway, with that full context now in place, Colbert was attempting to satirize Snyder's efforts, but to many, he tripped up big-time. He followed up with this quote from that segment of the show:

"I am willing to show the Asian community I care by introducing the Ching-Chong Ding-Dong Foundation for Sensitivity to Orientals or Whatever."

The exact same quote was tweeted by the official @TheColbertReport account (the actual tweet has since been deleted. This account is managed by the Comedy Central network; Colbert's personal Twitter handle is @StephenAtHome, and even he expressed shock at the former's using the quote). Many red flags were raised, and outspoken outrage was poured.

Suey Park, a writer and activist, took to Twitter with her first use of the now-widespread hashtag, calling shame to the way "comedians hide behind satire as an excuse to joke about things that aren't funny." Okay, agreed. Humor has its limits, and there's a fine line between jokes and insults that has been crossed many times, some with disastrous results.

But what's been used as collateral damage in her argument? White people.

To quote her first Twitter post directly: "#CancelColbert because white liberals are just as complicit in making Asian Americans into punchlines and we aren't amused."

Oh, it's the rhetoric that truly makes me disappointed. The icing on the cake was her statements during her HuffPost Live interview with host Josh Zepps:

"White men definitely feel like they’re entitled to talk over me. They definitely feel like they’re entitled to minimalize my experiences, and they definitely feel like they are somehow exempt and so logical compared to women, who are painted as emotional, right?" I believe she also went on to say that white men can't have valid opinions.

Here's where I draw the line. Those statements are nothing short of a personal attack and a grossly-exaggerated generalization placed on those who don't deserve it. I will agree to the fact that racism has been perpetuated by some white people. Just look at the 1960s, it's a veritable encyclopedia on civil rights struggles. Racism, and hate, in general, has been done by everyone, not just white people, but they seem to be the perfect scapegoat. But as times change and generations change, people change. Sure, there are still racists, and there will always still be racists. Hate will never be fully eradicated, and that's a sad truth. But there are more and more people who are on the side of justice and equality and will work to suppress the hate and promote peace in the world. And some of them are white; are you calling them racist as well?

I'm a white man. I don't talk over people. I share my thoughts but I also listen to the thoughts of others. I respect authority and those who are older than I am, when they deserve my respect. In some fields of study I know more than others, but there are many other things people are more experts at than I am. So, I wouldn't presumptuously call myself "so logical". I respect women and their accomplishments. So, no, her statements on HuffPost Live don't meet her generalizations of all "white men".

I've said it before and I'll say it again: not all white people are racists. Just like all police officers are not bad (that's another one going around) or all rich people are not corrupt and arrogant, these types of broad statements have no credence. It's sounds like nothing more than bombastic rhetoric to me.

I found this interesting quote on Facebook from Tae Yang Kwak, associate professor of history at Ramapo College of New Jersey:

"Is there such a thing as "white privilege?" Absolutely, and it is pervasive. Is there such a things as "white, male privilege?" Absolutely, and it is pervasive. Is every white man an idiot, incapable of valid reflection, analysis, or opinion? No. C'mon! Some of my best friends are white! (They are, but that was a joke.)"

I agree with Ms. Park's right to free speech; as an American, she is free to make her points and her opinions, and no one should minimize her importance and the importance of what she may say. But don't make loaded statements such as the ones she's been making, or be prepared to back those statements up. I will sit here any day and personally defend my honesty and my good character against any accusations I see made against me, perceived or direct. By lumping white people into her category of racist and indifferent, I suddenly become involved. And I will gladly explain myself.

I'm not a perfect person. I mess up from time to time, I make mistakes, I say things without thinking. I've been angry, I've been hypocritical and I've been wrong and I've hurt people close to me. But I own up to what I did, I say I'm sorry, I move on and I learn from my past. But that makes me human; just as human as Ms. Park and Mr. Colbert, and everyone else on planet Earth. But never have I held any racist feelings in my heart and I have never hated anyone because of the color of their skin. As Americans, and as citizens of the world in general, I believe everyone has the right and the chance at life, liberty, freedom and the pursuit of happiness. You, me, the neighbors, the guy down the block, the businessman, that guy at the bus stop, people in Japan, China, Germany, Spain, Italy, Britain, America, everyone in the world...we all should have the chance to be who we want to be.

I'm a Christian, and I live by the Bible. Jesus commands to show love and do good, even to your enemies, and to be an example for Christ in the world. But I know I will continually trip and stumble, because even though I have salvation, I am still a sinner. But I try my absolute best in my life and go out of my way to be kind to others, and that's all I can offer.  And I've found some who don't like me, for good reason or not, but that's something I have to live with, because not everyone is gonna like who I am.

And I'm sure that there are many, many more here like me, with white skin, great personalities, honest ethics and strong morals that stand for justice and equality for everyone on this planet; the oppressed, the free, and everyone inbetween and outside. These are the type of people that don't deserve the label that Ms. Park has put on them. These are not people who are racists.

The original @ColbertReport tweet was really mishandled, and I don't think it should've been tweeted in the first place, at least not without proper and clear context. But making statements like the ones the Twitter activists were making in the name of advancing social equality using white people as collateral? That's hypocritical and makes them sound just as guilty as the people they are accusing of being hateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment